Director Intellectual Property
You will contribute to the growth goals of Umicore by managing and developing the intellectual property portfolio and developing the IP-strategy in cooperation with the BU’s. You will be part of Group R&D, where you will play a key role in IP, safeguarding the value of Umicore’s innovations and translating them into valuable business. You will report to the Senior Vice President Group R&D.
- You are responsible for the strategic and pro-active IP management across the Umicore Group;
- You understand the priorities of the Business Units and stimulate business value creation out of IP;
- You develop the IP organization in Umicore and the IP expert team to effectively and efficiently support this business value creation target;
- You hierarchically lead the IP expert team consisting of patent attorneys, patent search specialists, a manager inventors remuneration and a paralegal team;
- You stimulate the experts in the IP team to continuously educate themselves in the field of IP and in their personal development;
- You develop and maintain contacts with your peers in the Industry to keep pace with the latest development in the area of IP management;
- You are responsible for the alignment of inventors remuneration with international law and you supervise a consistent execution;
- You are responsible for the Intellectual Asset protection policy of Umicore Group;
- You are responsible to lead and execute the IP part of M&A processes.
- You have an Engineering or Science degree (technical college or university) or equivalent;
- You are fluent in English (written and spoken), knowledge of German and/or Dutch is an plus;
- You have experience as Business leader or have been part of multi-functional Business teams, and have been involved in business value creation out of Intellectual Property;
- You have a sound knowledge on the mechanics and terminology of IP related processes such as patent filing, prosecution, invalidation, enforcement etc.
- You have experience with the tactics behind developing an IP portfolio;
- Having experience with improving efficiency and effectiveness of (IP related) processes is an asset;
- You have strong leadership and people management skills, both hierarchically and in multi-functional matrix organizations;
- You have excellent negotiation skills to coordinate the decision making process in a multi-stakeholder approach;
- You are a team player, result driven and decisive.