Local System Administrator
Reference Code: LocalSysAdmn/12.2016
Tasks & Responsibilities
The Consultant will be part of the Local System Administrator (LSA) team who manages the Institution’s IT infrastructure. Although the main task of the consultant will be managing the Linux server environment and Documentum, the successful candidate will also participate to other normal tasks performed by the team (storage management, database management, backup routines etc). The consultant’s duties will be:
Maintain current Linux installation
The Institution currently has a small base of Linux systems for Oracle databases and other specific applications. The consultant shall ensure that these servers are installed according to industry and EU Commission standards, that they are available according to the relevant SLA and are always up-to-date with respect to security patches. The LSA shall take care of all housekeeping activities such as backups, automating installations, health checks, performance checks, and monitoring.
Maintain Documentum installation
In 2016, the Institution implemented the Documentum software suite which is used for its document management platform. This suite of applications is running on a large number of virtualized Linux servers. The consultant shall participate in building and maintaining the environments (test, acceptance and production), and setting up systems in accordance to the availability requirements. S(he) will support and troubleshoot all aspect of this Documentum installation and properly document the installation and maintenance procedures.
Maintain specific applications
The consultant should also be able to maintain a number of business applications used within the Institution. This responsibility is expected to increase over time as the consultant acquires the necessary knowledge. Some of the applications will be Linux based but the majority of the system administration tools will be Windows based, and the Linux administrator will be expected to also use these tools.
Skills and Experience
- University IT degree with minimum of 8 years of relevant and proven experience with IT system management and Linux (preferably Red Hat);
- Experience and understanding of networked virtual environments using either a Linux hypervisor or Hyper-V from Microsoft is a must. Further experience in networking and/or storage systems is desirable;
- Some basic knowledge of Microsoft Windows server 2008 and 2012 will be needed, e.g. applying group policies in an active directory, scheduling tasks, monitoring events and performance counters;
- 6 years of proven experience supporting Documentum, in order to support all aspect of this application (installation, configuration, troubleshooting, operation);
- Good English language skills required both written and spoken;
- Being a Team player, self-starter, good communicator, and good listener are really significant.